Report Issues

and Contact SWPCC

Report Stormwater Issues

We can all help protect our watershed through recognizing and reporting suspicious activity or general stormwater concerns.

Illicit Discharges

To report spills, illegal discharges, illicit connections, or local emergencies related to the storm drain system or the sanitary sewer system, click the links or call one of the numbers listed below. Read about Permissible and Prohibited Discharges below to learn to recognize potential illegal/illicit discharges into the storm drain system.

City of RenoReno Environmental Service Requests775-334-INFO (4636)
Reno Environmental Control775-334-4230
Environmental - After Hours Emergency775-722-4660
City of SparksCity of Sparks, Environmental Control775-861-4152
After Hours Emergency775-691-9227
State of NevadaNevada Department of Environmental Protection775-687-9429
Washoe CountyWashoe311311 or 775-328-2003

Clogged Catch Basins

To report clogged catch basins, flooded streets, drainage channels, irrigation ditches, or other general stormwater issues, contact the local jurisdiction in your area by clicking the links or calling one of the numbers listed below:

Types of prohibited discharge: A rainbow oil slick and debris near a storm drain; a trash-filled drainage area; milky, polluted water near a drainage area; and a man dumping murky water into a storm drain
Two city workers using equipment to unclog a catch basin

Recycling and Hazardous Waste Disposal Information

To learn more about proper disposal of household hazardous wastes or the Curbside Recycling Program, call the Recycling Hotline at 800-597-5865, or call the University of Nevada Cooperative Extension at 784-4848 or 832-4150 (Incline Village office).

To learn about recycling and hazardous waste disposal for your small business, contact the Business Environmental Program at 1-800-882-3233.

To learn about how to safely and efficiently manage waste, and particularly hazardous waste, in the home, visit the Household Waste Management page on the Environmental Protection Agency website.

Permissible or Prohibited Discharge?

Prohibited Discharges

Murky, pink polluted water in a muddy, rocky area
  • Industrial process water
  • Commercial car wash wastewater
  • Sanitary sewer flows
  • Wash-down of loading areas
  • Wastewater treatment plant effluent
  • Dumping of liquid waste
  • Chlorinated pool water
  • Water softener brine backwash
  • Reclaimed or recycled water

Permissible Discharges

Heavy rain water draining into a residential street storm drain
  • Lawn, garden and landscape irrigation (not including reclaimed or recycled water)
  • Diverted stream flows
  • Rising ground waters and springs
  • Uncontaminated pumped ground water
  • Foundation drains
  • Air conditioning condensation
  • Water from crawl space pumps
  • Footing drains
  • Flows from riparian habitats and wetlands
  • Dechlorinated swimming pool discharges
  • Water utility line flushing
  • Runoff from firefighting
  • Discharges from potable water sources
  • Street wash water from cleaning/maintenance
  • Residential and fundraising car washing

Still Need Help?

Send us an email and we’ll respond as soon as we can.

A splash of water